Retail Sales Survey for the 3rd Quarter 2022
Among the major retail trade activities, sales values of Department Stores (-53.6%) and Leather Goods (-43.8%) decreased notably year-on-year, while the sales values of Motor Vehicles (+8.4%) and Supermarkets (+5.1%) registered an increase. Meanwhile, sales volume indices of Department Stores (-53.8%), Adults’ Clothing (-40.6%) and Leather Goods (-40.2%) recorded a significant year-on-year decline, whereas the indices of Motor Vehicles (+5.7%) and Supermarkets (+2.0%) showed increases. For the first three quarters of 2022, the value of retail sales went down by 22.8% year-on-year to MOP42.83 billion, and the average sales volume index dipped by 22.2%.
Value of retail sales in the third quarter of 2022 decreased by 15.2% as compared with the revised figure (MOP13.13 billion) in the previous quarter. Sales values of Communication Equipment, Leather Goods and Department Stores fell markedly by 40.3%, 31.3% and 24.7% respectively; on the other hand, sales values of Motor Vehicles and Supermarkets registered respective growth of 21.0% and 6.2%. Moreover, the sales volume index dropped by 17.5% quarter-to-quarter, with the indices of Communication Equipment (-39.5%), Leather Goods (-30.8%) and Department Stores (-24.7%) recording large decreases; yet, the indices of Motor Vehicles (+21.2%) and Supermarkets (+5.1%) increased.
In respect of retailers’ comments, 52.7% of the retailers anticipated a year-on-year decrease in sales volume in the fourth quarter of 2022, 37.7% expected the sales volume to stay stable and 9.6% forecasted an increase. Meanwhile, 68.8% of the retailers predicted that the retail prices would remain steady year-on-year in the fourth quarter, 19.8% foresaw a decrease and 11.4% expected an increase. As compared with the third quarter of 2022, about 49.9% of the retailers envisaged sluggish business in the fourth quarter, whereas retailers expecting stable performance (35.7%) and those anticipating a favourable outlook (14.4%) together accounted for 50.1% of the total.
Related Information: Retail Sales Survey for the 3rd Quarter 2022